Charity event ropes in $25,000 for Stollery
This year's edition of the LDL Benefit Team Roping was “an unbelievable success,” according to one of the event's main founders and organizers. As the weekend drew to a close, an estimated $25,000 was raised for the Stollery Children's Hospital in Edmonton.
Horse trailers and camping trailers were scattered across the Lilje family's property near Boscombe on Saturday, as 843 teams competed in the weekend affair. On Saturday, teams roped from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 a.m. Sunday morning, says Lisa Dunlop, who organizes the event alongside her mom, Donna Lilje, and sister Laura.
A rainstorm hit the area Saturday afternoon while teams were roping, but most competitors “sucked it up and put on warmer, rainproof clothes,” says Dunlop.
Thanks to a group of dedicated sponsors, the event offered 13 saddles up for grabs. This year was the event's sixth anniversary, which means competitors have had time to spread the word, and interest in the event has grown, says Dunlop.
Last year, there were just over 600 teams competing. Dunlop believes that one of the reasons the event attracts so many people and continues to grow is because it is a fundraiser.
“Our committee has worked long and hard and had an extremely long two days of roping and we donate every penny that we make,” says Dunlop.
This year, a Friday Night Under the Lights event was also held. Organizers were hoping for 100 teams and got 130, and roping for that event only finished at 2:30 a.m. on Saturday. Plans are now underway for a two-day event for 2013, says Dunlop.
She adds that the event wouldn't be possible if it wasn't for the many volunteers who offered their time to help out, even when it was pouring rain.
Results are as follows:
Under the Lights Open Roping
1. Clint & Jeremy Buhler 33.48/5 $5,075.00/man +buckles
2. Murray Lithicum & Kevin Schreiner 34.05/5 $4,200.00/man
3. Murray Luthicum & Kasper Roy 35.80/5 $3,325.00/man
4. Brady Davies & Cody McCarroll 36.99/5 $2,450.00/man
5. Travis Gallais & Tyrel Flewelling 37.49/5 $1,575.00/man
6. Roland McFadden & Matt Robertson 37.73/5 $875.00/man
Fast Time Short Go- Travis Nicholson/ Kent Drake 5.56 $500.00/man
1. Troy Helmig/Marty Stapleton 36.80/5 $6,721.24/man + saddles
2. Steve Gross/Frank Simpson 38.68/5 $5,521.02/man + buckles
3. Troy Helmig/Scott McDowell 40.42/5 $4,320.80/man + halters
4. Tyler Johnson/Art Gallais 43.12/5 $3,120.58/man + tiedown
5. Kevin Oester/ Marty Stapleton 43.95/5 $1,920.35/man
6. Tyler Johnson/ Darwin Routhier 44.03/5 $1,200.22/man
7. Stan Simpson/Bill McLeod 46.34/5 $720.13/man
8. Dwaine Graham/Austin Young 47.77/5 $480.09/man
2 head short go
1. Tyler Johnson/Art Gallais 12.71/2 $1,694.43/man + saddles
2. Kevin Oester/Marty Stapleton 15.00/2 $1,270.82/man
3. Troy Helmig/Scott McDowell 15.94/2 $847.22/man
4. Stan Simpson/Bill McLeod 16.34/2 $423.61/man
Century Champions Troy Helmig/Marty Stapleton
Runner Up Century Kevin Oester/ Marty Stapleton
Hi point Lady MacKenzie Loren
Runner Up Lady Darci Schmidt
Hi Point Junior(12 & under) Casey Olson
Runner Up (12 & Under) Quade Kozack
Hi Point Junior (13-15) Austin Young
Runner Up (13-15) MacKenzie Loren
Hi Point #3 MacKenzie Loren
Runner up #3 Dawson Graham
Hi Point #4 Darwin Routhier
Runner up #4 Bill McLeod
Hi Point #5 Troy Helmig
Runner up #5 Marty Stapleton
Hi Point #6 Kelly Avery
Runner Up #6 Darwin Ullery
In order to post comments on our web site, you must validate your email address. An email was sent to you when you registered that included an activation link. If you have not yet done so, please click on the link to activate your account.
If you did not receive your activation email, please click here to have it resent.